[AMPS] PA-77 question, round two

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA-77 question, round two
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 11:38:21 -0700
Jack:I own a 77DX and was concerned that a grid current of about 100ma
is needed to develop the legal limit output.A change of tubes resulted
in the same result. I posted a query on Amps about other peoples
experience with this amp. Several people responded that the amp is
designed to show  an Ig on the meter that is twice the actual Ig. Some
thought this was an attempt to keep operators from damaging the tubes
from excessive grid current. I do not know what the reason for such a
design is but I think it could be just to give a greater deflection on
the grid multimeter which has a sensitivity of 500ma FS. The manual does
not say anything about this, just to tune for Ig in the range 100-150ma.
The Eimac data sheet on the 8877 shows 74ma for 1000ma plate current and
2075 watts out key down in class AB2 linear cathode driven service.

73, Dan, N5AR