[AMPS] no reviews?? N0AH

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] no reviews?? N0AH
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:39:28 -0700

>Ok, so I have not heard a peep from anyone regarding the Ameritron
>AL-800H......

A friend who writes reviews was loaned an AL800 pre-production prototype
for evaluation.  During evaluation, a stentorian noise was heard and the
fuse blew.  He brought the amp. over to see if I could spot anything.
The tubes had shattered filaments.  Short lengths of filament wire were
rattling around in the tubes.  However, the vacuums tested good on a
high-pot. tester.  /.  A sharp VHF dip was observed at the DC blocker
cap.  //  It is my opinion that the 811 is inheriently vhf-unstable
because of the high inductance of the grid lead.  This does not mean that
an 811 can not be stabilized.  It means that you gotta do your homework.

>I guess this means no one has one or the topic is boring- oh
>well- ho humm........but seriously, any one using this amp??? I might pick
>one up used and I am very curious to it's performance- I did hear the tubes
>are a bit pricey and somewhat easy to overdrive- any opinions are greatly
>appreciated-   Also, they advertise the output as 1,500 plus
>plus......anyone

Some men tell the truth and some do not.
The MFJ "3000w" tuner burst into flames at c. 1000w in the ARRL Lab test
.