[AMPS] handles for cheap...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] handles for cheap...
From: measures@vcnet.com (measures)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:57:55 -0700

>Has anyone looked at the new price for a Eimac tube
>like that 3cx1200z7,, last time i looked it was 700 US
>dollars. Considering that one can buy new Svetlana,
>Taylor 8170 and 8171s for between 1000 and 1200
>dollars i think they a bargain even new. The ability
>to have these tubes rebuilt and the fantastic warranty
>make them a bargain.

Agreed.

> No ham radio style tube has a
>warranty equivalent to the handle variety. Dollars per
>watt they unbeatable. Although if you take the
>analysis to the finest degree, the cost of the larger
>higher voltage components may make these tubes more
>expensive. But then again if you want to get the
>1200z7 really fired up, 4000 volts seems about right,
>the cost difference might be miniscule. A 8171 running
>at 5000 volts is fantastic, so the real difference in
>cost could be minor at these voltages rather than the
>full fire bottle status of 9kv no load.

Indeed, Igor.  One of things that impressed me most about the 8170 and 71
was their ability to resist parasitic oscillation damage.  Before I
managed to improve the VHF stability of The Plywood Box, I had the most
violent parasitic events that I have ever witnessed.  Zero tube damage
resulted.  .