[AMPS] More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 13:34:38 -0500
measures wrote:

>>Joe Ham has a brand new amplifier that he plans to use exclusively on
>>14.225 MHz.  His antenna is a beam that does not have the best match at
>>14.225 MHz.  Therefore, Joe being a careful guy, has decided to put a 50
>>Ohm isolator
>
>?  What is a 50-ohm isolator?

Rich, you don't know much about RF, do you?

An isolator is a device that is typically used at higher frequencies than
HF that effectively makes any load "look" like 50 Ohms.  Now I KNOW
you'll find some way to criticize that and parse it and pick it apart,
but so what.

I also know that at 14.225 MHz, an isolator would physically be very
large and probably wouldn't be practical.  So what.  The question is
theoretical and is used for example purposes only (ie: lossless coax, SWR
meter with zero line length, etc).  The presense of the isolator greatly
affects the answers to a couple of questions.

So Rich, instead of just criticizing, how about stepping up to the plate
and answering some of my questions?  Afraid that you may have to
backtrack on some things?

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden