[AMPS] More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] More Relevant SWR FINAL EXAM
From: af006@lafn.org (Harv Shore)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:39:05 -0700
The so called ISOLATOR is a name given to a three port CIRCULATOR with the
third port terminated in a load. Port 1 goes to the transmitter. Port 2 to
the antenna. Port 3 to the termination.  At UHF and microwave these are
usually made using strip line and ferrites.  I do not recall seeing too many
ISOLATORS at HF. I think Collins and Chu did build some using lumped
constant networks for the phasing networks.  When I was with RANTEC we made
some at VHF using lumped constants.  They were pretty big and very narrow
band.  The purpose of these gems was to divert reflected power (or incident
power from collocated transmitters) from the transmitter.  They did nothing
to change the SWR of the transmission line or the antenna.

Yes -- a nice attenuator in the transmission line will reduce the reading of
reflected power ---  but it will not "match" the antenna system.

Harv
K6EXO