[AMPS] cooling

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] cooling
From: W7lr@aol.com (W7lr@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:52:27 EST
Years ago when I used to build amplifiers with 250ths I didnt worry about
cooling with the tubes somewhat out in the open.  For a new project (really
dont need a new one tho) am working on a single band amp with some 4-400a's
in parallel.
I have the air system sockets and chimneys for cooling.  I dont have much
experience nor knowledge regarding cooling. The tubes will sit on a 3" deep
chassis.  Would there be enough air with a muffin fan under each tube socket?
Or would it be better to use a squirrel cage blower blowing into the chassis?
Should there be baffles for each tube or would enough air go up through each
socket without that?  Any estimates on how big a fan or blower would be
needed?
I have some old Tempilaq (temperature sensitive lacquer) to test temperatures
but that would be after the fact. I also have a digital thermometer with
probe but somewhat concerned about that and hv.   Also what is a good source
of fans/blowers? Some have advised using the split chassis cooling method but
I'm too far down the road now with the sockets and chimneys.
73 Bob W7LR  w7lr@aol.com