[AMPS] Blow TL922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blow TL922
From: Donald.Kessler@wpafb.af.mil (Kessler Donald J LtCol HQ AFMC/DOOT)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 10:57:03 -0500
Helmut, et. al.,

I don't have the schematic in front of me right now and am working from
memory...

I would suspect that the bias zener diode is shorted.  This 7.5 V zener bias
diode is stud-mounted to a heatsink next to the filament transformer.  This
might explain why your ZSAC (500 mA) is so much higher than normal (180 mA).
I have to echo the previous comment that if you still got QRO out, that the
tubes are not shorted...

I am not sure why the tube is showing plate current in standby.  This could
be due to a problem with the bias switching relay.  This relay is located in
the aft portion of the amp, between the rf-in and rf-out.

Not sure without looking at the schematic, but I believe the stock TL-922
uses 100V switched via the bias relay to cutoff the tubes.  You might also
check this...

After repairing your amp, I would suggest that you modify it per the
information available from Rich's (AG6K) web page - I highly recommend ALL
of them.  The qsk mod makes the amp much more pleasant to operate because
you won't be able to hear it switch from standby to transmit...

73, Hals u. Beinbruch!
de ki6sz