[AMPS] N-Connectors - Thanks for the Replies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] N-Connectors - Thanks for the Replies
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:04:52 -0500
All the "breakdown voltages" aside, have an honest look at a the N
connector.

1.) It has less spacing between the pin and the shell than a
conventional SO-239/PL-259 UHF connector.

2.) It has a much smaller pin diameter

Now look a a regular low power BNC.

If you cut the locking shell off a regular 50 ohm BNC male, it will
plug right into a 50 ohm N connector female. The size difference is
thousandths of an inch.

As a suggestion, save some money. Use BNC connectors on your
kilowatt plus rigs indoors. They have the same voltage breakdown
and current carrying capacity as a rugged "N" connector.

By the way, I machine the N connectors on 7/8 inch heliax and
convert them to UHF types when I get surplus cable with
connectors. If I leave N connectors in my system, they fail much
more often than conventional good quality UHF connectors.

Running high power through a "BNC-like" connector internal is not
a good idea, especially if there is some SWR present.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com