[AMPS] N-Connectors - Thanks for the Replies

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] N-Connectors - Thanks for the Replies
From: nj4f@erols.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:33:13 -0500
Hello all,

Also, using silicon grease is great, EXCEPT that if you get ANY on the
outside of the connector and cable ass'y, you will never get the tape to stick.

I use a double wrap of Scotch 88, a layer of un vulcanized rubber tape,
another double layer of 88 tape and then a final coating of ScotchKote.
Really water proof, but as Rich mentions, it is a real pain in the butt to
get back in them.
I went thru this very thing in the CQWW on Sat evening when the 40 quit.
Cutting these joints open at night on a tower by flashlight is no treat!
(It was the bead balun! Water in it.)

Another thing to mention is that you can get the generic equivalent of Coax
Seal, by finding this material sold as gutter patching stuff.  I have a
roll about 12 inches wide and 8 inches in diameter which is intended to fix
rusted out gutter bottoms.  This is may hundred dollars worth of material
at the Coax Seal price.

73 de Steve, NR4M

At 10:15 AM 3/2/00 -0700, measures wrote:

>>Hi Rich,
>>
>>I usually weatherproof mine with scotch 33 and high
>>vacuum grease. No trouble as of yet.
>>
>The trouble is when you take them off and put them on.  Type-C handles
>big suds and does not let water into the coax.  Cs are as fast as a BNC.
> No taping and untaping needed.
>
>cheers, Mike.
>
>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html

Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.dx4win.com