[AMPS] VHF visitation (was power handling...)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] VHF visitation (was power handling...)
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 00:41:40 -0700

>>>When it had a VHF visitation, my old ''plywood box'' amplifier would
>>>Blow the parasitic suppressor resistors into something like cosmic
>>>dust.   My guess is that the engine for this transaction was the
>>>1000 Joules that were stored in the 9200v supply.  The transaction
>>>took place so quickly that it never tripped the breakers.

>>physically damaged.
>>>>
>>>The above resistors were disappeared.  Forrest Gump was right.
>
>Dear me, I did see the Forrest Gump movie, but I recall not the simile,
>could you please enlighten this luddite?

?  "Shit happens" -- Forrest Gump.  Murphy said something similar.

>Then - the plywood box amp seems to have an extraordianry ability.  Does
>this amplifier still exist?

Yes

>As a prospective author, I'd dearly love to
>make some network measurements on it, and outfit it with peak measurement
>apparatus to see what is "up" with it.

To do this, you would have to remove the present all Ni-Cr alloy vhf
suppressor device and install a copy of the suppressor whose R-supp
virtually disappeared.  .

> VHFYou say it has a "VHF visitation" so
>I assume you actually measured a VHF occurance.  What was the frequency
>observed?

A bit under 68MHz.  No measurement was made during the big-bang.  The
anode-resonance that apparently supported the event was found with a
dipmeter..

> What was the length of time the pulse lasted (if it was a pulse)?

beats me.  It sounded like a shotgun, only louder.  .

>  How did you discern that it was not one of Eimac's fabled "barnacle"
>incidents?

At 15kV, the tube subsequently exhibited an above avg.  vacuum.  This was
hardly surprising since the tube had recently been rebuilt by Econco
Broadcast Services.  A VHF visitation seemed likely because the
carbon-comp R which disappeared  was DC shorted by <2milli-ohms of
buswire.  //  RE:  Eimac.   I have never seen an Eimac engineering
bulletin on parasites.  Have you? //  I have listened to Rauch's banter
about appearing/disappearing barnacles.  It reminded me of a ''sea
story'' that is oft' heard over brewskis.  .

>If this amplifier does not still exist,

It still exists.  150 in does 15 out.   When I used to tune it up (with a
pulser), my neighbors' porch lights blinked.

>can you provide adequate details so
>that it can be completely replicated?  Oh, such a learning experience that
>should provide!

Replication is quite straightforeward, and can be accomplished with
ordinary hand tools -  thanks to precision sheet metal shears, PEM-nut
fasteners plus screwed & glued douglas fir plywood.  . .  See "Ugly"  on
my Web site.  Photos are provided of a slightly smaller version using a
more linear tube. .  A simplified diagram of the only thing in the
amplifier that is somewhat unique is provided.  (the grid circuitry)

cheers, Fred

end