[AMPS] Stainless Steel Chassis Effects????

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Stainless Steel Chassis Effects????
From: bakerhouse@uswest.net (Mike Baker)
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 00:06:56 -0700
OK gang, here is a passing thought for you all to ponder.
Amazing what my mind can come up with when I am tired.

    I read recently where Ameritron is now using stainless steel for the
chassis of some of their amplifiers.  This seemed like an expensive
proposition compared to aluminum but at first I figured that the folks
who live near the salt water environments would be pleased and perhaps I
wasn't as firmiliar with what sheet metal costs are these days anyway,
so I didn't think much about it again until just the other day.  What
gave me a new way to look at things was the diagram of various
reasonances and areas of capacitive and inductive reactance within an
amplifier shown in the ARRL handbook.  Most everything has a return to
chassis ground.  Stainless steel is very much like nichrome.  If it
doesn't make a difference where you place a suppresser within a resonate
circuit (on the hot end or the cold end) and the chassis is common to
all circuits within the RF path both input and output, why wouldn't a
stainless steel chassis act much like the nichrome suppresser.  The
conductivity of stainless is not as good as aluminum and I would think
the effects on VHF circuits would be detrimental due to its lossier
conductivity.
Ok, that should get a few of you thinking in a different direction for a
hour or so.
What say you all.?  Am I all wet or did I just have an interesting
thought?
Kevlar boxers and flame suit in place.;>}

Mike Baker  K7DD
Peoria, AZ.  DM33
bakerhouse@uswest.net