[AMPS] New Amplifier Manufacturer

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] New Amplifier Manufacturer
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 04:43:41 -0700

>Ed, Jay, Phil, Paul & others:
>
>I took a look at the info on their site.  It concerns me, having a good
>bit of experience with 4CX250B's in VHF amps, that the statement of 50
>watts of drive produces 600 watts out.  For a KW DC input the 600 watts
>is about right.  However, a well designed pair of 4CX250B's will drive
>into class C with 5 watts of drive.

My pair of 4cx250Rs in AB1 needed 10w of drive.

> Are they swamping the other 45
>watts?  At 50 watts the grids will most likely go up in vapor.  Least
>alone the IM produced before the big bang.  With today's HF tranceivers,
>most are comfortable at 100 watts output, from where does this 50 watt
>number arrive?

To drive a pair of 250Bs in AB1 with a c. 100w HF transceiver, one
typically uses a 4:1 bifilar stepdown transformer with a 12.5 ohm grid
termination,

>Sure they build a good looking amp, but 2 pieces?  Also, I have concern
>that 2 blowers (fans), producing 32 CFM thus more than twice the
>manufactures CFM is adequate. Oh sure that's the blower ratings.  While
>Eimac says the 4CX250B needs 5.7CFM at a pressure of .7 inches of water
>at sea level, I wonder how they account for back pressure, other losses,
>in ducts and filters.

Measure specific pressure at the socket with a manometer and the other
losses matter not.  //  In my opinion, fans do not develop enough
pressure drop across the typical anode cooler.  High pressure blowers are
way better.  --   Kooltronic manufactures a high pressure blower that
should be able to handle the 4cx800A air requirement.  The model
designation is KBB38.  With 50HZ line freq., the KBB38 will deliver 60cfm
at 1.1"SP.  With 60HZ, the delivery is 1.7"SP at 60cfm.   For higher
pressure applications, Kooltronics makes a line of Radial Wheel Blowers.

The telephone number is 1-800-321-5665.   See http://www.kooltronic.com.

cheers\

end