[AMPS] 3cx1000a7 bias

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3cx1000a7 bias
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 23:23:42 +0100
Rich Measures wrote:
>Zeners are not adjustable.  They usually don't survive a glitch.  A
>string of foreward biased diodes is Way cheaper than a zener and they are
>adjustable in 0.7v steps.

This question keeps coming around, and whenever Rich mentions the string
of diodes, it's also the cue for me...

There's a circuit on my site that is continuously adjustable and gives
true constant-voltage regulation. This circuit uses the TL431
"adjustable zener" and a PNP Darlington boost transistor.

http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek/boards/triode/triode-3.htm#4CathodeBias

Can't beat Rich's string of diodes for low cost, but the TL431 circuit
might still be cheaper than a very large zener.

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek