SV: [AMPS]

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: SV: [AMPS]
From: phil@invest.fsbusiness.co.uk (phil)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:03:14 +0100
Mike,

I am normally a lurker on this reflector learning a lot from the regular
posters. However just have to throw my 2c, I mean 2p worth in as I was
recently the guest of the gentleman you know of as 'CBer extraordinair'
while on a very recent visit to a hamfest near Tyler, Texas.

He is licensed, he is a gentleman and knows far more about high power
amplifier construction than I will ever know. I think they call it
getting your hands dirty.
>We do not take kindly to people who break the law in America.  CBers here
>(many of them) not only break the law by running illegal power but they boast
>about it.
In my 20+ years as an amateur operator I know for sure that power output
rules go to pot when either the 'going gets tough' or 'the contest
begins'.

Why, I know a local NFD operator that has a brace of 3CX3000A7 mono-band
amp's that are run at somewhat more than the UK's allowed 400w out!
>This so-called "CBer Extraordinare", who is NOT a licensed amateur even
>though he claims to be, has the timerity to get on a reflector which is
>ostensibly for licensed amateurs and boast that he has an amplifier capable
>of exceeding not only the CB power limit (5 w.), but egregiously exceed the
>1,500 w limit imposed on LICENSED amateurs.
>
>When I called his boast to the attention of Mr. Riley Hollingsworth, the new
>"enforcer" for the FCC, this Jeff Wolf non-licensed character, reacted as any
>criminal would act.  He denied his wrong-doing and spewed forth foul language
>and baseless charges, vituperation and acrimony towards any who dare call him
>on his scofflaw behavior.
>
>I, and others dare this CBer to produce his bona-fide amateur license.  He
>ain't got one, 10-4?
And if he should offer his call, what then?

Let's get back to discussing amplifiers.

Phil  G4ZOW