[AMPS] ssr's in qro amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ssr's in qro amps
From: w7iuv@nis4u.com (Larry Molitor)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 23:28:47 +0100
At 07:59 AM 6/27/00 -0400, Mike Sawyer wrote:

>     What I would like to know, is if you have some sort of delay worked out
>so that you don't generate RF until your Ep is up to full potential and is
>stabilized.
>Some of us see the merit in your actions.
>73,
>Mike(y)
>W3SLK

Well, Mike, it turns out that there are several added benefits to this
approach, for me at least. One of those is that no additional delays or
sequencing are needed. Oh sure, the purists will insist that spectral
purity is impaired for the few  milliseconds between the time full drive is
applied to the cathode on a typical amp and the time the PS is up to
nominal. However, since the actual power out is relatively low, it turns
out to be a "don't care".

What this means for the home designer is that no special relays or speed up
circuits are required to avoid hot switching. No "cut off bias" circuits
are required to keep the tube cool during RX time. Also, those times when
the ZSAC is zero and power supply idle voltage are highest are eliminated,
thereby by reducing the stress on bleeders and filter caps.

The down side is: no chance for QSK, (no loss there), loss of the first dot
using "break-in" cw (easily compensated for by sending an extra dot), and
the need to be mindful of PS diode surge current.

This approach is not for everyone. As a mater of fact, I've never actually
recommended that anyone even try this. I only mentioned it to illustrate
how and why I was using SSR's. It works for me, others mileage may vary.

73,

Larry - W7IUV