[AMPS] How to find the Correct Phase for 240V Transformer Primary Windi

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] How to find the Correct Phase for 240V Transformer Primary Windings ???
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 15:26:05 -0400
Never check an unknown transformer at full line voltage. Never play
with a HV transformer with full line voltage.

Never ever.

> 2. Apply an AC voltage to ONE of the windings; lets say you use the 'A' -
> 'B' winding. Use 120 volts or less.
>
> 3. Set your multimeter to measure AC volts. Use a range for 250 volts or
> higher.
>  Connect one lead of the multimeter  to lead 'A' .  We'll arbitrarily call
> this the "Start" lead for that winding.
>
> 4. Touch the other lead of the multimeter to lead 'D' .

Have your XYL call 911, when you brush against the core and the
transformer has a secondary winding short.

Seriously, don't play with wires unless you are damn sure the
transformer is isolated from power line through a transformer,
operated at very low voltage, and you are still very careful.

You can measure everything you need to measure at 1.2 volts,
instead of 120.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com