[AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters
From: w4th@webtv.net (Tom Hix W4TH)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 12:03:57 -0500 (CDT)
There have been several messages lately about amps designed for amateur
use being used on 11 meters.
In my humble opinion, I think it will be hard to get the legitimate
manufactures of amateur amps to do anything to prevent this until the
FCC is willing to go after those manufactures who are designing and
selling amps specifically designed for the cb band.
I did a search on one of the search engines under CB AMPS, and below you
will see just a small fraction of the listings I was able to find.
If these amps are indeed illegal, and are as easy to find as doing a
search on a search engine, why is the FCC not doing anything to put
these guys out of business?
If you have a few minutes, take a look at some of these pages. One
manufacturer was calling his amps CW transmitters, and all of them say
their products are for export only. Yeah right! But it looks like these
guys make them all the way from 100 watts to 100kw!!! I even saw one
page that showed two trucks pulling trailers with engines mounted on the
trailers, that were used to pull just the alternators used to power the
amps. The story along with the picture said between these two mobile
stations they had a combined output of over one quarter of a million
watts!!!! It seems these cb'ers have what is called a "shootout" where
two mobile stations will park side by side, and a monitoring station
will be set up some distance away, and the station who has the best
signal at the monitoring station wins the "shootout". The last link at
the bottom shows some of these big "shootout" stations in operation.
They actually made movies of them in action. The only trouble was there
was so much RF in the air it was causing the video tape recorder to
eject the tape when the big boys were transmitting! I wonder if any
researchers have ever done a study to see what the occurrence of brain
tumors are among these guys who set there a few feet from all of that
RF? They talk about drugs frying your brain, can you imagine what
100,000 watts on 11 meters 3 ft away from someone's head can be doing,
WOW!
I sent Mr. Hollingsworth an email about these "shootouts" sometime back
with a list of all the upcoming events for this year. I told him I sure
would like to be there at one of these things if he would just show up
one time. I think if he would just show up at one of them, there would
never be another, or at least not for a long time.
But until the FCC does something about these kinds of dealers, I doubt
very seriously the legit manufactures are going to do anything to stop
their amps from turning up on 11 meters. I cant say as I blame them.
That's just my opinion.
73
Tom
W4TH