[AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters
From: wy6k@yahoo.com (michael watts)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 15:45:16 -0700 (PDT)
Peter,

Your impressions are somewhat mistaken.

Not only do the CBers run excessive and illegal power,
they do it by overdriving their gear and thus create
spurious emissions on various frequencies, including
in the ham bands.

Over-regulation of Hams and Ham antennas is enabled by
the attitude of the general populace.  If the populace
thinks this interference is coming from hams, they
become more supportive of even more restrictions on
hams.  So we have a lot to lose.

In addition, many CBers operate in the 10 and 12 meter
ham bands - illegally, of course.  This problem is
made worse by the ones who run illegal power.  Bear in
mind that the legal power limit is 5 watts.  We would
not be bothered too much by a few CBers operating AM
and SSB in the 10 meter CW band if they were running 5
watts.  However, there are more than just a few of
them now and many of them run several KW and they
cause substantial interference.

I would also point out that some of these CBers run
from 20KW to 70KW.

One step in cleaning up the ham bands is to get the
CBers and their spurious emissions out of the ham
bands.

Mike Wy6k