[AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters
From: da_kang@hotmail.com (Jeff Wolf)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:02:13 GMT
>>Why is it "more illegal" to run plenty of power on CB bands than on >>the
>>Ham bands ?

>1.) Amateurs use callsigns, so any harmful interference is easily
>traced to the source.

That 11 meter ground plane is hard to spot in a neighborhood, too.  Or the
45 foot 8 element Yagi.

>2.) Legal CB power and legal Amateur power levels are separated
>by a factor of around a hundred times more or less. Any amateur
>running 150 kW PEP on AM with a non-linear amplifier deserves to
>be busted just as much as a CB'er running 400 watts.

And running 1550 watts is still illegal.  Tell me this Tom, what is the
purpose of running an 8171 on 40 meters?  Does one REALLY  need 35 thousand
watts on SSB to communicate to the other side of the states.

Wait.  It must be because you need to run Class A on RTTY, right?  I mean,
one REALLY does need 4,000 to 15,000 watts of dissipation to run 1500 PEP
out, right?

The point is this:  Amateurs run just as illegal as CBers.  One listen to 2
or 75 proves that.  I don't agree with the idiots on the 11 meter band.  I
tell people to run clean power, whether on 10, 11 or 80 meters.  Band
doesn't matter, power level doesn't matter.  As long as the operator is
clean, and enjoying his hobby, what is the difference?

>3.) Amateurs generally stay inside the assigned bands, and don't
>disrupt other services.

I could have sworn that some of the amateur bands are shared with other
services, and would you say that a improperly built or run DAF amplifier
wouldn't mess with the commercial area of 40 meters?

>>Personally I don't like CB operations but I could not care less if a

>Same here Peter. I care less what they do on assigned channels,
>as long as they don't affect my life.

And this is my point exactly.  However, why condemn people just because they
want to run power?  Why not teach them how to do it cleanly, get off the old
"CBers are all scum" soapbox, and help people out?  The amateur community
(as a whole) might actually earn points with the 11 meter crowd and
encourage people to migrate to legal high power amateur operations.

Of course, you have bad eggs in the CB band, and you do have the "trailer
trash" associated with it.  I choose not to talk to them.  However, don't
condemn the entire service because of a group.  Or the entire amateur
service should be sold off to the UPS's of the world because of our assinine
2 and 75 meter opps.

>The problem is the CB band has been a big educational tool for
>learning how to operate where ever and what ever equipment you
>like with no regard for who you may be screwing up.

And yes, we have the trailer trash to thank for that.

>Have a listen on ten meters now, or even 10 MHz.

Or for that matter, 144 - 148 or 75 meters.

Toll Free