[AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:36:25 -0700

>>>Why is it "more illegal" to run plenty of power on CB bands than on >>the
>>>Ham bands ?
>
>>1.) Amateurs use callsigns, so any harmful interference is easily
>>traced to the source.
>

>That 11 meter ground plane is hard to spot in a neighborhood, too.  Or the
>45 foot 8 element Yagi.
>

>>2.) Legal CB power and legal Amateur power levels are separated
>>by a factor of around a hundred times more or less. Any amateur
>>running 150 kW PEP on AM with a non-linear amplifier deserves to
>>be busted just as much as a CB'er running 400 watts.
>

>And running 1550 watts is still illegal.

?  This is clearly not the case for the Amateur Service.  The FCC gives
us a 10% tolerance.  The real limit is 1650w.  I know of a station
inspection that measured more and the operator was not cited.

> Tell me this Tom, what is the
>purpose of running an 8171 on 40 meters?  Does one REALLY  need 35 thousand
>watts on SSB to communicate to the other side of the states.

 8171s typically produce about 15 out in AB1.  35 out takes an 8281, a
200a service,  and a 200w driver.  //  I used to run 14 out on 40m ssb
because I was being jammed.  Unfortunately, the extra 8db didn't work
because the miscreants would jam the people I was trying to talk to.  The
solution was the telephone.   Turn on the VOX, turn down the AF gain and
listen on the telephone.  It is very important to totally ignore jamming.

later

end