[AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amateur amps on 11 meters
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:31:09 -0400
> Why is it "more illegal" to run plenty of power on CB bands than on the
> Ham bands ?

1.) Amateurs use callsigns, so any harmful interference is easily
traced to the source.

2.) Legal CB power and legal Amateur power levels are separated
by a factor of around a hundred times more or less. Any amateur
running 150 kW PEP on AM with a non-linear amplifier deserves to
be busted just as much as a CB'er running 400 watts.

3.) Amateurs generally stay inside the assigned bands, and don't
disrupt other services.

> Personally I don't like CB operations but I could not care less if a CB'er
> runs 1 kw  as long as he is on 11 mtrs.

Same here Peter. I care less what they do on assigned channels,
as long as they don't affect my life.

The problem is the CB band has been a big educational tool for
learning how to operate where ever and what ever equipment you
like with no regard for who you may be screwing up. Have a listen
on ten meters now, or even 10 MHz.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com