[AMPS]Solid state Amps (not a cb amp)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS]Solid state Amps (not a cb amp)
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 08:18:47 -0700
"Tom Tishken KD4WOV(laptop)" wrote:

> hello,
> I was wondering if anyone has used any of the solid state amps ( ameriton,
> Ten tec, Henry, worthmore, skywalker).

I'm using a Henry SS750.  It puts out at least 750 watts key down on all bands
160-10, but it likes to work into an impedance somewhat lower than 50 ohms on 20
meters and up (35 or so seems to be about right).  Into a 50-ohm load the
amplifier (at least mine) can't be made to put out more than 550 watts on 15
meters.  I believe that this is because of component variations in the output
filter module, or the design thereof.  Another solution is to run it at 15 volts
instead of 13.8; this increases the optimum load impedance for the transistors.

I had a few minor problems (defective thermostat, exploding small electrolytic
caps) when I got it.  Henry sent me a new thermostat, but communication with
them was less than optimum -- it took two weeks.  I replaced the electrolytics
and that problem hasn't reoccurred.  There is a slight reduction in power as it
heats up (better than an increase!), and I changed the fan circuit so the fans
run all the time at half speed, going to full speed when the thermostat kicks
in.  This reduces the temperature variation.

Henry did not consider the high-band power dropoff issue a problem, and wouldn't
discuss it with me except to say that I could have my money back if I wasn't
happy!  Although I am satisfied with the amplifier's performance -- I use 15v on
it and the impedance shown by my antenna at the feedline happens to be on the
low side -- I wouldn't purchase another product from Henry because of the
difficulty in getting support.

The amp is well built.  I can't discuss distortion of SSB signals, since I use
it on CW.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA