[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: dcckc@ncn.net (dcckc)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 12:35:08 -0500

> > Its sounds like you have found the an answer to what I thought was a
> > imaginary problem if what you say is true and I dont doubt that it is then
>

>I really didn't "find" anything. Anyone who works with high power
>PA's and understands them already knows everything I said.

but not to be found on ameritron amps

> > I would hope these improvements would be on the very next  series of
> > Ameritron  amps, the word would soon spread about the improvements. Market
> > share would no doubt increase and Rich's customer base would dwindle. A
> > simple kit could be devised for the adventurous ham or factory up grades
> > could be done for minimal cost  or free ala Ruger Arms. the debate would
> > be moot and of no  interest .
>

>I'd wager any improvement would be publicized by a certain
>individual as a "step backwards" because it isn't the 1930's
>technology he promotes.

A moot point till the improvements are seen The least troublesome ameritron
among owners seems to be the AL811 pretty close to 1930 technology

>The reason the "debate" rages on is because some people make it
>a religious issue, rather than good science. You won't see many
>engineers arguing basics, because they all know how to measure
>things and apply circuit theory correctly.

>You can say what you will, but in the last couple of years, Rich has been
>the only one here who has been able to explain the fundamental problem with
>the TL-922 -- lack of parasitic suppression.  I can also tell you from
>first-hand experience with well over a dozen formerly unruly TL-922s sent
>to me for repair and modification, plus two of my own TL-922s that used to
>eat bandswitches, that his suppressers have "tamed the beast."  My judgment
>as a BSEE, MSEE, and soon-to-be Ph.D., is that his analysis is sound and
>well thought-out.  Additionally, the implementation of his "solution" on
>the 14+ TL-922s that I have worked on would further attest to the validity
>of his analysis.

apparently Mr Kesslers degrees are invalid and it is a religious issue with him

>Everyone, from Kenwood to ETO to Ameritron....is stupid. The only
>person who really understands what he is doing is the guy who sits
>at home....and who has never designed a commercially
>manufactured HFPA in his life for anyone.

I cant vouch for the stupidity or intelligence of kenwood to ETO to
Ameritron or what Rich does or doesn't do at home but as long as
manufacturers keep doing things like putting 3-500 in PC board sockets
instead of tube sockets, building junk power supplies, using cheaply made
parts from front to back and then selling it all at a premium prices they
will be suspect with the consumer. Collins at least earned the premium
prices they demanded through the grudging respect of the community they served.
Dave/WB0PKK