[AMPS] Properties of Different Metals

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Properties of Different Metals
From: jeff@wa1hco.mv.com (jeff millar)
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 23:35:07 -0400
Cool...thanks.

A couple of questions.

1. Some hi-fi purist advertising promotes "oxygen free copper" as having
better properties for propagating audio.  I alway assumed that was the
fanciest possible way to say "not corroded".  What do you (or the list)
think?

2. Sometimes people talk about the the crystal structure of the copper in
cables.  Seems like BS to me.  Any possible effects?

3.  Most weird of all.  Some people check their cables for directionality.
It's AC, people!!!  Any possible effects on that one?

(Could I start a company selling premium oxygen free, grain oriented, coax
cable with a directional arrow  and get rich???...maybe call it Monster
Coax?? oops that's taken)

4.  More ham radio related.  How can I model the increase in resistivity of
a coil or stripline at high frequencies due to skin effect?  I'd like to
make the smallest possible tank circuit that doesn't have too much loss.
That means large wire or stripline...but how large is enough???

jeff