[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:01:45 -0700

>> >I think he blaims Tom for having gotten him booted from participating in
>> the amps write-up for ARRL, or some such thing-

I believe that Tom and Dick had nothing to do with this.

>>  His vehemance is
>> astounding, and bitter enough for it to have been something major.
>

>Rich wrote an article in QST, January 1994; page 30, "The Nearly Perfect
>Amplifier."
>In September, 1994 QST in the "Technical Correspondence" section, page 71,
>a group of "Contributors" questioned the technical accuracy of several
>points made
>in the article.
>
>The "Contributors" were:
>1 .Frederick J. Telewski, WA7ZTY
>2. Reid Brandon, W6MTF
>3. Bill Clemow, KE7CX
>4. John C. Faken, KB6MU
>5. Steven D. Katz, WB2WIK/6
>6. Tom Rauch, W8JI
>
>I will let you judge for yourself on who was correct and who was not, but
>as a result
>subsequent articles submitted by Rich to QST for publication were rejected
>by the editors of QST,

? I submitted no articles  to *QST* after November, 1993.

>...including his rebuttal to the Technical Correspondence
>disputing his article.
>
>I hope this is useful in bringing you newcomers to the "Grate Debate" up
>to date.  You can now read the two pieces and judge for yourself. You can
then ask
>specific questions to the authors of the material.

The missing piece of the puzzle is why did the League pull the plug in
March, 1994?.  Apparently, Dick Palm, the manager of the League's
Official Observor program, was not at all happy because (some ten years
earlier) some rotten bastard had been sending out packs of satirical OOO
(Offical Observor Observor) cards so that recipients of stupid OO cards
could critique the stupid OO.  To make matters worse, two QST Staff
members had 000 cards displayed on the wall behind their desks.   Due to
repeated use of a character from an uncommon font, Dick was apparently
able to guess who the rotten bastard was in early 1994.  Subsequently,
the simply-awful OOO card was presented at a full-boat directors'
meeting.  All present were reportedly horrified by the OOO card and the
rotten bastard was given the boot.

cheers, Phil.

end