[AMPS] Amp using 833A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amp using 833A
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:32:00 +0100
Rich says:

>Medium Mu triodes draw little anode current unless the grid is driven way
>positive- and that means distortion.

This is not necessarily so. Class AB2 or Class B2 operation with grid current in
grounded cathode requies a well regulated bias supply, and a well regulated
drive, but it does NOT automatically mean high distortion. Pappenfus in fact
says that AB2 can result in lower IMD than AB1.

See Pappenfus et al, W. O. Brown on Radio Transmitters, and various tube
manufacturers data sheets.

At 3kV,  a pair of 833's in Class B are rated at 1650 watts out. Having said all
of which, it wouldn't be my tube of choice. Still, if the price is right.......

73

Peter G3RZP