[AMPS] AL-80B Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80B Amps
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 05:47:51 -0700

>This subject has probably be covered before but I thought
>that I would again share this with the group.
>
>The Radio Club here at Diego Garcia has two AL-80B
>Ameritron amps.  A month ago we had a 3-500Z short and
>it had to be replaced.

Have any operators heard spitting sounds coming from the bandswitch?
What is the measured resistance of the suppressor R.?  // Bandswitch
damage frequently occurs at the 160m and 80m Tune-C padder contacts.
(see AL-80 & SB-1000 bandswitch photos on my Web site)  //   With nothing
to act as a grid fuse, and no glitch resistor, there is no grid
protection in the AL-80.  These design oversights are easily fixed.
However, for those with a free supply of tubes, ... ... ...

>Last night the other amp's 3-500Z
>shorted and we also had to replace that one.  While checking the
>schematic during this process, we noticed that the
>OPR/STANDBY switch only enables the keying relay.
>The High Voltage comes on and remains on with the
>OFF/ON switch.  We were all a bit shocked by this design
>and wanted to warn others before they are fatally shocked
>by this design!

This is normal for communications-duty linear amplifiers.  Switching off
the HV supply does not make an amplifier safe.  120vac is potentially
more lethal than several kV.  .  To see the next sunset,  always pull the
mains plug before putting one's hands in a linear amp.

later, Joe

end