[AMPS] AL-80B Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL-80B Amps
From: ewell@cvc.net (Edward Ewell)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:47:51 -0700
Ed Ewell wrote:

    I agree very much, the hazard is not the design of the equipment, but the
weakness is in the procedures?

    Most amplifiers on stand by,  the tubes or transistors do not draw current,
they
are biased off.  (I say most) however going from stand by to operate the bias
voltage

goes to operating bias level, drive is applied to the amplifier and things work.

   However all of the time the circuit is alive, just different voltage
levels....

    When you take the cover off  an amplifier, you are looking at death straight
on.  Life is fairly long, death is instant. (If interlocks are activated the
amplifier
will possibly be dead?  don't count on it?)

    Do not place your hand in an amplifier with the power plug in the wall?
You are
asking for it.

    If you are experienced, you will place one hand in your pocket when reading
voltages, best
is to power down, attach meter leads (with plug removed from wall socket), then
power
up.

    Amplifiers are very powerful, but most dangerous, have some one help that is
experienced,
or ask.

    Commenting on a stand by switch, is not wrong, but only asking for an
explanation.  This
thread of experienced and helpful communication people is the best place for
information.

     Ed    K7DXV   Oregon...