[AMPS] a sticky issue.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] a sticky issue.
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 19:14:37 +0200

The impedance of an inductor with a resistance in series, is equivalent to
another inductor with a certain resistance in parallel.
This is easily demonstrable by impedance series parallel transformations and
shouldn't start another debate but's helpful to point out that overall
circuit response is what counts and not single devices.
A coil made with a bad conductor may be electrically equivalent to an
inductor made with highest conductivity material but with a resistor across.
If an inductor uses a material whose losses may change with frequency, a low
loss coil with a resistor in parallel is same complex to predict because
resistor terminals (series inductance) and physical dimension (stray
capacitance) influence the overall impedance and Q, not counting other
problems like resistor failures or resistivity variations due to
overheating.
If an amplifier has a proper layout and tube, any suppressor solution is
applicable (mostly because not strictly needed).
If an amplifier hasn't a proper layout and tube (parasitics are closer to
amplified bands), everything is quite critical and a practical suppressor
may not exist at all.

73
Mauri I4JMY