[AMPS] AMERITRON AL80A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AMERITRON AL80A
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:49:56 -0400
I said:

> >  That's about the silliest thing I've ever heard!
>
> Well, I see it is time for Tom to blow smoke and duck the issues AGAIN
> claiming that no one else (besides himself) knows anything.

Did I say that? Please quote where I said that Dave.

> First of all, apparently Tom's comprehension of the English language is
> lacking.  You will notice that I said a friend of mine owned the
> amplifier, NOT me.  Is Tom calling me a liar?

Did I say that? Please quote where I said that Dave.

> >  The plate choke is self-resonant on 11 meters CB, and was
> >  intentionally made that way. Maybe your friend was using the
> >  amplifier on CB?
>
> Tom, only a person as insecure as yourself would accuse someone of using
> your AL-80A on CB radio.  That is the SILLIEST thing I have ever heard.

That's the only band where the choke affects efficiency.

> I wonder why the anode always had a dull red glow to it even when idling?

3-500Z's should have a dull red glow in the anode when idling with
the amplifier keyed and no drive applied.

If they don't, you are heading for trouble with tube life.

The 3-500Z getters itself through a Zirconium coating on the anode.
This is the coating that gives the anode a dull powdery gray color.
Zirconium absorbs different gases at different temperatures, with
optimum gettering for most gases occurring around 1400 degrees
C. Optimum absorbing of hydrogen occurs at 350 degrees C.

You have to have the anode operated partially red, and practically
non-colored but hot, to keep the tube gettered.

That's why 3-500Z's that are stored for long periods go bad.

If your friend changed bias so the tube never gets red, he actually
did a bad thing. He ruined the design, which selected bias to getter
the tube and reduce IMD.

He may be an old timer, but he must not have understood this.

> NOT nonsense Tom.  When he changed it, the anode lost the red glow and ran
> much cooler, and the power output went up.  Maybe your name is really
> Albert Rauch?
> The bottom line is Tom, are you calling me a liar?  You call many others
> on this list a liar.

There is a big difference between pointing out technical mistakes
and calling someone a "liar". This is supposed to be a technical
forum.

> What was the reason you were removed from the list previously Tom?

I have never ever been removed from any list. Not ever. Let's not
start false rumors Dave.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com