[AMPS] Care and Feeding of fragile egos

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Care and Feeding of fragile egos
From: ac6tk@cybertime.net (J. Bradshaw)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:51:52 -0800
WARNING: Those who have trouble with reading comprehension
or off topic posts should delete this post immediately.

As I remember, Bill Gates never did complete his university degree, he
: dropped out to present an operating system called Disk Operating System
: to IBM which was developing a device called a Personal Computer.
:
: So much for qualifications - someone that hasn't experienced the burn of
: a soldering iron or the thrill of 220V hasn't lived, and is surely not
: fully educated...
:
: Ian ZS6BTE

Bill story is pretty scary.  Most kids who get approached
because they have something "Mr. Big" wants, just get
burned.  Bill obviously had the balls to sit down and haggle
rather than take a fistful of money and go to blazes.

School is for those who haven't been found yet.  It gives you
the opportunity to learn until you (hopefully) do get found.
I was "found" in my elementary school years and placed in
the GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) program to
be "challenged".   I wound up being kicked out of an Elitist
English class over an overdue library book, into a flunky math
class where I was routinely assaulted by gang kids, and wound
up getting swats for "fighting" on a routine basis.

So I've had to fight to be able to go on in my education.
It wasn't until I went to a college in a different town with
no references whatsoever that I was able to go on.  I was
admitted by placing well on the entrance test.  Fortunately
they overlooked my lack of references until later in the
second year, after I had already attained a B+ average and
dean's list.  They were completely shocked and embarrassed
to finally dig up references and find a D average trouble-
maker on their hands, but at that point they didn't want to
adhere to other opinions at the expense of their own.

I have an AS in Math along with a host of BS engineering
and physical science classes.  Unfortunately, it has been only
useful for my own personal enrichment, as I am still known
as the GATE student that never got anywhere.  I have had
more offers to do suicide missions in Hell than for gainful
career moves, although market shifts in my fields of expertise
may have a lot to do with that too.

Probably, the key to my survival has been self-taught mind
control routines in order to avoid reactive responses to
external stimuli, and to take more preemptive actions and
to avoid those who think they can get ahead by pulling me down.
I am often uncooperative.

Proper education is good foundation for further understanding,
but not everyone can get ahead with it.

Ignorance is a ball and chain, but some carry it off and use it
for a weapon.

Jim,
ac6tk

PS yes I have been burned by a soldering iron and even been
banged by TV second anode voltage.  Once in High School,
threw a 800v secondary transformer across the room by the
leads when probing the output.