[AMPS] 3CX3000A7

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX3000A7
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:49:29 -0600
The Henry 3000D is an industrial RF generator.
It was never designed to operate above 20 meters.
The tube socket and metal chimney add much to the
already high  "C" values on the 3CX3000A7 and to stray
C. That is why the 8-K Ultra uses no C1 in the Pi-L tank
on 10 and 12 meters. Henry designed a low-C socket and
non-metallic chimney to increase efficiency in the 22-30 mhz
range. I buy these items from Henry when I need to make
the Henry generators work above 20 meters.

I have personally stood behind Paul Johnson in the Henry
amp development lab watching him select tank values. He uses
a "little better" box than an MFJ-259B, but the principle is the same.
A resistor equal to the desired plate load impedance is clipped in
between the tube anode and chassis ground. When the tank is
resonated at the frequency of interest, the test meter attached to the
output of the amp will read 50 ohms. Now one must measure or
calculate the Q of the tank to make sure it is in the desired design
range.

Just because a match can be obtained in the above manner is not
enough. The Q could be 45-50 or more!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC

Subject: Re: [AMPS] 3CX3000A7