[AMPS] 4-1000A Project

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4-1000A Project
From: Wt8r@aol.com (Wt8r@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 23:26:48 EDT
na9d@mindspring.com writes:

>  I went and dug into my memory archives a little more and I also woke up a
>  little more.
>
>  It appears from the text I wrote below that my primary motivation for using
>  the "L-coil" as a I call it or step down transformer in the anode output
was
>  to force the B&W 850A to work.  Actually, that wasn't it at all.  It was a
>  side benefit, but I was ready to roll my own inductor coil.
>
>  The primary motivation behind stepping down the impedance was the tune Cap.
>  The output capacitance of a 4-1000A is on the order of 7 pF.  By the time
>  you add the socket and capacitance of the amplifier housing that all add to
>  it, you end up with a tube capacitance on the order of say 15 pF.  Some
>  people have commented to me it could be as high as 20 pF.
>
>  With a plate load impedance of 5300 Ohms, at 28 MHz, the needed value of
>  Tune C for a Q of 15 is 15 pF!  For a lower Q value, you need even less
>  capacitance.
>
>  Since the output capacitance of the tube needs to be added to the real
value
>  of tune C, that means that tune C would need to be zero pF or less which is
>  not possible!
>
>  This was my primary motivation for using the step down coil.  A typical
>  minimum value of C for a vacuum capacitor is say 10 pF.  So that means, the
>  actually total tune C in the circuit is about 25 pF.  With matching 5300
>  Ohms to 50, a value of 25 pF for tune C would give a Q at 10M of about 26.
>  A little too high, IMHO.
Jon,

What is your estimate of the magnitude of the reduction of capacitance due to
the addition of the "step-down" coil, if that is what you infer in the first
& second paragraph above?

What is the purpose/function of the "step-down" transformer you used in your
design?

Would a step-down transformer enhance the efficiency of my Pi-network output
which has an impedance of 2000 ohms (3000V@ 750mA)?   If so, what value would
you recommend?

Dave, WT8R