[AMPS] ALC

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALC
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 07:45:14 +0100
There's general agreement amongst the group that all ALC circuits currently
around in production equipments are non-ideal. It seems we all have our own
approaches to deal with our own requirements.

Personally, I gave up on ALC years ago when I had to design a tx that did
reduced carrier and full carrier as well as SSB: ALC in that application causes
carrier 'pumping', although in the opposite sense to the old 'controlled
carrier' AM.

The other corollary is that we don't, as a group, seem inclined to worship at
the YaeComWoodTec shrine as being the be all and end all of radio
design........Not that that should surprise anyone who follows this reflector!

73

Peter G3RZP