[AMPS] Conjugate Matching In Class B and C Amplifiers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Conjugate Matching In Class B and C Amplifiers
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:38:44 -0400
> > As I understand it, Mr. Maxwell asserts that linear amplifiers are
> > conjugately matched.  If this is true,  the efficiency  could not
> > exceed 50%.
>
> OK.  You are correct Rich.  If conjugate match occurs, then an equal
> amount of power is absorbed by both source and load - hence the 50%
> efficiency.

That is not correct, although it has crept into recent texts. I think
that concept comes from taking a Thevenin model literally, as an
actual circuit with a dissipative resistance in series with a source.

It's unfortunate that electrical engineers used the same term
(resistance) to describe the ratio of across-to-through vectors as
we use to describe the characteristics of a resistor.

Even more unfortunate, we now are assuming a Thevenin model is
actually the real world system with a dissipative resistance.

I did load pulls on class C PA's with more than 70% efficiency, and
the load-pull indicated a conjugate match (50 ohm source) when
efficiency was maximum. There is nothing that says PA's must be
operated at a conjugate match, just like there is nothing that says
efficiency is only 50% when the PA is conjugately matched.

It isn't that difficult to measure a PA and prove this, yet most
people spend far more time arguing than measuring.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com