[AMPS] IMD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:34:37 +0100
Mike said:

>Can someone explain the FCC Rules in this respect... why do they specify
>the driving power of an amplifier at all?

The  idea of the FCC rules is to prevent the manufacture and use of amplifiers
on CB. So any amateur can build one amplifier per year for bands below 144MHz
without getting type acceptance. To get type acceptance, the gain must be such
that to get the  deisgned output power, it needs 50 watts of drive. There's also
limits on the gain between 24 and 26 and 28 and 35MHz.

Whether or not this prevents you building an ampllifer for yourself for each of
the HF bands, I'm not sure.

        >Does this mean that I cannot build a really good amp using, say, a pair
of
        >MRF154/MRF157s because it will require too little RF drive?

Not if you're building one for you - although there might be a question as to
whether an MRF154/157 will make a 'really good amp'!

73

Peter G3RZP