[AMPS] IMD

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] IMD
From: Mike" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 22:05:41 -0700
What is the limitation, the close-spaced IM of the typical receiver, or
is it actually a limitation in Spectrum lab's FFT algorithm (I haven't
tried resolving closely spaced signals with spectrum lab)?

I have done some very crude tests here with 1 KHz tone spacing
and using the CW filter in my R4C and a step attenuator to resolve
level of IM sidebands coming from my rig. The levels seem about
right, but I have never done any tests to validate this (I don't have
a spectrum analyzer here).

This brings up another question that I have been meaning to ask.
When testing amplifiers how does ARRL generate the two-tones.
Are they high level combining  the output of two trasceivers each
generating a CW signal, or do they combine tones at a low level
and run them thru an ultra clean "golden" PA?

Mike, W4EF.............