[AMPS] another myth on EMF

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] another myth on EMF
From: Peter.Chadwick@zarlink.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:51:35 -0000
The radar at Heathrow airport is supposedly about +93dBW EIRP (that's QRO - even
by John Lyle's standards!) at around 1230MHz. It's been there for a good many
years, and thus workers at Heathrow must have had a reasonable degree of
exposure over that time. There haven't been any scares in the paper about excess
cancers amongst them. However, as Steve says, radar is an area where some care
is needed. I would also tend to be cautious with high power amplifiers on 2m and
70cms - operate with the covers on and so on. Regardless of the fact that they
may not tune correctly without the covers, of course...

For amplifier builders, I feel that touching the HV (or the AC input line) is a
much bigger risk.

73

Peter G3RZP