[AMPS] Millen HV Connectors Factory Pricing

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Millen HV Connectors Factory Pricing
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 16:00:22 -0800

> I have been down that road also, Paul! I solved the problem years ago when
> started mounting the
> socket to the chassis a bit differently. I drill a hole in the chassis
> slightly
> smaller than the width of the
> socket. I then fashion a rectangle of  1/4" plexiglass slightly larger
> than the
> dimensions of the socket. A
> hole is then drilled in the center of the plexiglass slightly larger than
> the
> shaft of the socket. Then
> 2- #6 holes are drilled through the plexiglass and chassis to match the
> mounting
> holes on the socket.
> This gives C. 1/4 inch separation between the socket and chassis. I have
> had
> zero failures since I
> changed the mounting scheme. Every failure previous to the change was
> right
> where yours was;
> where the shaft of the socket passes through the chassis. I would never
> dream of
> pushing the
> ratings above 6 kv. on the red or black units. The yellow units should
> never be
> used > 1 kv,
> IMO.
        [Steve Katz]  Don't know about the 1kV rating, sounds pretty skinny.
But I've seen the blue corona (darkened room) around Millen HV sockets only
when improper mounting hardware was used or the socket installed with such
mounting force (stainless machine screws torqued to within a hair of
breaking) that the Millen socket material began cracking.  When I install
the connectors myself, I've never had a problem.  Same sockets and plugs
used on HT PSUs here since 1967-68 in many cases.  Highest voltage on any of
them is 4400V, though.  Never tried 6-7kV.  Never used "tetrodes with
handles," either!

        WB2WIK/6