[AMPS] From: Nicholas Thomas <njt@ntphoto.com>

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] From: Nicholas Thomas <njt@ntphoto.com>
From: k6ndv@contesting.com (Will)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:42:21 -0800
If reply, please do so to the group or to the address below.

From: Nicholas Thomas <njt@ntphoto.com>
To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Alpha 89 Transformer problem
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 16:41:34 -0500

Greetings to all.

I just had my Alpha 89 shipped to me via overnight FEDEX. Everything
was well packed in original boxes, but I did notice that the
transformer had some movement in it's box before unpacking. The
transformer was bolted down to plywood, but there was some space on
top where it could move an inch or so up and down.

Upon firing up the beast, I noticed a very loud buzzing coming from
the transformer. This unit was silent, except for the fan, like every
other Alpha I have used until this shipping adventure to and from
Colorado.

I checked the tap to make sure it was secure on 240v. Could something
have come "unglued" inside the transformer during shipping? Any ideas
for possible remedies aside from laying down $600 for a new one?

Other than the buzzing sound coming from the transformer, the
operation of the amp is solid.

Any questions or information would be greatly appreciated. The buzzing
is really annoying coming from such a fine amp.

73

Nick - AA1LN