[AMPS] Request for Advice Please

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Request for Advice Please
From: kc5vdj@yahoo.com (Jim Bryant)
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 17:26:40 -0600
Vic Rosenthal wrote:

> "Nathan, Kevin" wrote:
>
>>Now, for my question.  I have the opportunity to pick up
>>a Kenwood TL-922A bought in 1983 for $450.00 from a local estate sale.  I
>>have always kind of lusted after this amp.  However, I could pick up a brand
>>new Ameritron AL-811H for $750 and, I understand I can substitute 572B's for
>>the 811's at some time to get even better performance.
>>

> If the TL922A is in good condition, I would prefer it.  It is a very
> well-constructed unit.  Of course, given its age, you would need to be sure
> that
> the tubes are not gassy and that the filter capacitors are in good shape.  I
> suppose in your position, I wouldn't buy it unless I could have it thoroughly
> checked out by a knowledgeable person.  $450 is really an excellent price for
> clean one.
>
> If I were purchasing a new amp at minimum cost, I would look at the Ameritron
> AL80-B.  Of course, it's out of your price range at about $1300, but you might
> find an almost-new one.

I might want to point out that the gentleman said he is blind, and with very
limited support in the ham radio hobby.

Any amplifier that requires manual tuning would likely be out of the question,
unless it is fitted with audible indicators, such as
his antenna tuners seem to be.

jim

--
          ET has one helluva sense of humor!
     He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!