[AMPS] Transformer Current ratings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Transformer Current ratings
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:31:27 -0800

>2 wrote:
>>

>>>One other trick to check a transformer is to measure the resistance of the
>>>secondary winding. ...
>>
>>//   Bingo.  The primary winding R as well as the mains R are also
>>factors.
>
>The *effective* secondary resistance - including the contribution from
>the primary - is the value that should be used in calculations.

//   True

>If the primary resistance is too low to measure accurately (which it
>should be for the kind of transformers we're interested in!) the total
>effective secondary resistance is roughly double the measured secondary
>resistance.

//  Agreed.  However a low R can be accurately measured with a DMM by
putting 1ADC through the primary and measuring V drop.  1.0mV drop =
1.0m?.  The same method is useful for evaluating vacuum relay contact
resistance.

cheers, Ian

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end