[AMPS] HV Pole Pig Transformers

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] HV Pole Pig Transformers
From: phil@vaxxine.com (Phil (VA3UX))
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:54:34 -0500
They work just fine if they have a secondary voltage that is usable for
your project. There are several that have been in use in home brew amps up
here in Ontario for years and years. I ran a 5 KVA unit here for about 6
years myself with no problems. In all cases, these were removed from the
oil and the bulky can.

Precautions :

1) Have the oil tested for PCB content. The cost here in Ontario is about
$15. If you can verify from the metal tag on the can that the unit was
built with no PCB's, you have no worries.

2) Remove the transformer from the can and let it drain for about a
month.  When you first put it under load and generate some internal heat in
the thing, it will drip a little more but that'll be the end of it.

3) Before you buy it, look at the oil in the can. If it is clear/clean
looking with perhaps a slight amber or greenish color then the transformer
itself is probably fine.  If the oil looks dark or dirty, the transformer
itself is probably no good.  I speak from experience.

4) For the purpose of supplying an amateur linear amplifier (ie.
intermittent service), the transformer will supply it's rated capacity (and
a whole lot more) even though it is out of oil.

5) Because it will be out of oil, the transformer should be used indoors in
a dry location.  Might sound obvious but some people have mounted big power
supplies or big mono-band amplifiers in their garages.  These transformers
have no protection against moisture ingress once they are out of oil and  a
garage is subject to greater swings in temperature and humidity than a
house.  Indoors they seem to run for ever without a problem.

Good luck

Phil