[AMPS] cheap cap meter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] cheap cap meter
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:51:02 -0800
-
I've got to throw in a pitch for simplicity. A basic LCD
Display Cap meter can be bought for $49 or less. I've
seen kits by Rainbow and others which adapt a small
circuit and a volt meter to a basic cap value meter.
>From memory, said kits run about $8
-
The el cheap'o cap meter I bought years ago from
Fuji Svea (remember them Rich..?) resolves well
down to less than 5pf.  Import cap meters abound
on Ebay and the Electronics Supply Stores.
-
Sometimes one might spend a little money to save a
lot of time.  Avoids beating the dead horse again.
-
Real economy and home brew types can find
simple circuits in the handbook which allow one
to measure cap values.
-
Your results will probably vary.
-
cheers
skipp
-
> I have some motor driven air variables from a Kenwood AT-250 that with
> or without padding I intend to use with either an amp or antenna tuner.

>  I remember seeing in an old QST or CQ magazine (very old 1970's) a
> formula used to estimate the value (pf) of  air variables.  Anyone know

> of a way I can approximate the value of these things.  I can call
> Kenwood parts, but I would like to know a method of estimating these
for
> when I find some off brand surplus or others.
>
> Thanks
> Ron KH6DV

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.