[AMPS] found connectors but now : cable ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] found connectors but now : cable ?
From: mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk (Michael J. Tubby B.Sc (Hons) G8TIC)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:04:49 -0000

I used PET-100 connectors (horrid) and RG58 (okay) on my old
W1SL 2m amp and 3-500Z on 6m. The PET-100 doesn't grip the
RG58 very well and long-term can flex and cause whiskers of the
braid to short inside the plug barrel...

More recently, I've used MHV connectors from Surplus Sales (Nebraska)
and RG400 1/4" (6mm) PTFE coax. The coax was second-hand (junk)
and cost GBP 2.00 (USD 3.00) per 5m length (it was the GPS antenna
feeder cable from a really old Trimble GPS receiver called the TANS -
size of a shoe box!) and is great for ETH work.

Personally I've found both the MHV and SHV connectors easy to use
and superior to most other types of connector.  RG58/RG59 is perfectly
adequate at 3-5KV DC but I use the RG400 because I have it (overkill)
and it looks pretty (there's also little chance of crushing it).

Mike G8TIC/M0VHF