[Amps] Homemade attenuator or sampler for 1+kW?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Homemade attenuator or sampler for 1+kW?
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 07:34:40 -0700
Ilkka,

I use an HP 778D  20dB directional coupler for this application.  1kW
applied yields 10W at the -20dB decoupled port, then I just use an ordinary
20W attenuator (Bird, Narda, HP, whatever -- lots of them available) plugged
into the spectrum analyzer.  The 20 dB directional couplers are readily
available surplus for about $100 or so, picked up my last one from Fair
Radio Sales in Ohio, USA http://www.fairradio.com

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6

"Each success only buys an admission ticket to a more difficult problem." --
Henry Kissinger