[Amps] CTI follow up - miscellaneous ramblings

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] CTI follow up - miscellaneous ramblings
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 18:04:28 -0700
>Gas tubes v. solid state regulators:
>
>I am always suspicious of an electronic device that hides the electron
>flow.  When the VR tube glows, you know it is doing something.

*  I have seen gas regulators which glowed but did not regulate.

>That is not
>the case with solid state regulators.  The same problem applies to ceramic
>tubes.  You cannot see if they are on.
>
>The best of all worlds was the wonderful old 1625 in the ARC-5.  I could
>tune them up by tuning for minimum blue gas.

*  the blue glow was usually florescence on the glass - which means it
was caused by electrons colliding with the fluxing agent in the glass
recipe.

>That was important because I
>had spent my $3.95 plus shipping for the ARC-5 and had not learned yet that
>a pilot lamp could be substituted for a meter.  Later, after acquiring a VR
>tube, I learned that it could be put in an RF field and used for tuning
>just by holding it near the plate.  And, then a friend told me that a
>fluorescent lamp could be placed at the end of the long wire to allow your
>ham neighbor to see when you are on the air.
>
>Solid state devices are fine - but they do not glow.

* I have seen them glow.  It was not good news,

>I only wish they had a VR-5 and a VR-12.
>
>I did have a chance to examine the CTI amp.  Perhaps they do not use the
>most modern circuitry and yes the tube dissipation is less than most other
>amps - but there was obviously a lot of pride in the manufacture of these
>amps.  They are very well built and should last a long time.  It is easy to
>criticize the design and used of these tubes, but they are the same tubes
>used by the KWS-1 -

Which ran the 4cx250Bs within their ratings, unlike the CTI.

>and that brings tears to the eyes of Collins lovers.

They had good audio.

>I wish my home built amps looked as good.  One advantage of these amps over a
>wonderful new Alpha is that a ham with minimum test equipment could service
>them himself using inexpensive components.

*  amen

>Would the amplifier have brought the same questions and challenges if it
>had a Collins label on it?
>
>The 4CX250 tube is not known for great imd performance.  The Collins rig
>used feedback to improve the bottom line.  The CTI picks up some
>performance using cathode drive, since that will add degeneration.

*  However, g-g with a 2w grid is looneytunes for all but SSB.

>And,
>even though it does not use a tuned input, I believe the 3rd order
>distortion level would be close to or below -30db.  Maybe that is good
>enough.

*  No tuned input with g-g is not hardly engineering practice.

>So, maybe CTI overstates the qualities of their amp.
*  Maybe Ted Kennedy is a Democrat.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end