[Amps] Muffin Fan on Swan Mark 1

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Muffin Fan on Swan Mark 1
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 06:58:08 -0700

>>>They used to say that about antennas too, until MININEC and NEC became
>>>available free to anyone who wants them. Certainly there are big
>>>pitfalls in computer modeling, but antenna modeling has also shown that
>>>"horse sense" isn't always reliable either. In the end, you need both,
>>>in order to check each against the other.
>>
>>So if horse sense yagi-uda design -- i.e., tuning for max fwd gain on an
>>antenna test range - with element length/spacing experimentation produces
>>more gain than the computer modeling antenna, one should assume that the
>>fault is with the test range ?
>
>In all areas of engineering, professionals routinely do both modeling
>and measurement, and use each to check the other.
>
>Setting up modeling "versus" measurement, and turning it into an
>argument, is strictly an amateur thing. It's time we grew out of it.

When a omputer modeling program produces better results on the antenna
test range, there is no argument.  When it does not, it becomes a
laughing stock.

>>>Exactly the same would apply to thermal/flow modeling if we had the
>>>tools to try it.
>>>

>>>Unfortunately IR thermometers are notoriously UNtrustworthy, unless they
>>>are calibrated for emissivity and - for this application - also have a
>>>very small spot measurement size.
>>>
>>The better ones have a light-beam guide spot.
>>
>The guide spot is a laser beam. The *sensing* spot can be an inch
>across, or larger.

The guide spot assures alignment.

>[...]
> >Black shoe polish is not costly.
>[...]
>>Drill a hole, make the measurement, and tape the hole with aluminum tape.
>
>I'd rather find better ways...

Some build amplifiers to look good.  I build amplifiers primarily to
deliver the goods.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end