[Amps] Failed 8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Failed 8877
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:47:00 -0400
After 20 years of service, I experienced my first problem with my Alpha 77Dx
amplifier.

I noted that the input VSWR into the amp was very high, zero plate current,
and only 40mA of grid current regardless of exciter drive level.

I narrowed the root cause to a broken 8877 filament....although it was
difficult to find beacuse it is intermittent.  At the onset of filament
current, it opens and after powering down the amp, and checking with a DVM,
the filamant resistance reads fine.   I finally got it to read an open
resistance right at the pins with the transformer Molex connectors
unplugged.  I can repeat the sequence and by putting the DVM in series with
the filament,  I can see the DVM read AC current for a brief instant, then
it goes to zero.  When this occurs, I can then see the filament read open
resistance right at the pins.  Once I pull the tube and measure the filament
resistance, 75% of the time, I can then see good resistance.  The other 25%
of the time, it will read open.  I do not have a spare 8877 at the moment.

I'm not thrilled about a new Eimac replacement.  Are there reasonable
sources of good pulls with ample life?  If so, where should I begin looking?
Thanks in advance.

-Paul, W9AC