[Amps] RMS Power

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RMS Power
From: wlfuqu00@uky.edu (Bill Fuqua)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:08:04 -0500
        You know RMS Power is in my list of all the dumb things I see in print
today.
Here is my list:

1. RS-232 connector ( the original RS-232 specification did not specify a
connector but only voltage wave forms and rise/fall times)
2. DB9 connector the second letter was used to specify the physical size of
the connector.
        DA15
        DB25
        DC37 ( was often used for parallel printer cables before the 80's)
        DD50
        DE9
Now with the high density connectors you can get a DE15 which is the same
used for VGA displays.
        D specified the series and the number of pins was followed by a letter
indicate plug or socket.
        Oddly enough, the vendors have had to advertise these parts incorrectly
so
that they would not loose sales to those
        that did not know better.
3. mhz  this is millihertz   Megahertz is MHz.
4. Grid Leak ( grids don't leak but negative bias is generated by grid
rectification)
5.  RMS power  ( started with the audio manufacturers. They invented RMS
Music Power)  This is similar to
     the old vacuum cleaner ratings. The average person could pick up and
hold a 5 horse power vacuum cleaner.
     It had a #16 zip cord for 120Volt AC input.